Thursday, 26 July 2012

1950s Pinafore with Pattern

This project comes from a 1954 issue of Pins and Needles magazine, a general needlework publication packed with sewing, knitting, crochet and embroidery patterns and projects. Flicking through when I received it in the post, this page caught my eye as a quick project for the little one.


Cute though the elephant is, I left it off for this project. The fabric is one I'd picked out for a dress for her but had yet to find a pattern before now: a polycotton woven check design.

The pattern was very simple to make up, with the most difficult part being drafting the strap shapes. It feels like there are a couple of measurements missing from the diagram in order to get the angles right, and goodness knows where my protractor is! The pattern calls for contrast fabric for the upper skirt and bib pieces, but I decided to cut these parts on the bias to utilise the check pattern here. I did have to put a pleat in the bib, as when she tried it on the straps were slipping off her narrow shoulders a little- this changed the angle of them just enough.


The skirt closes up the back with buttons. I made only the top button at the waist functional, with the others sewn through all layers to keep the skirt closed. The straps are crossed behind the shoulders and button onto the waist at the back. I went with some vintage yellow buttons with a tiny flower detail from the stash to pick out the yellow in the fabric.


Back detail: straps buttoned on with vintage buttons. This fabric was a nightmare for making the buttonholes on (another reason for making only the waistband button functional on the back).


On to the pattern! Some of the text is printed very small on the diagrams, but the photos are high quality so should capture it well enough. You should be able to right click> View Image to see it full size, but let me know if you have any problems.






I'd love to see if anyone makes this up! I'm planning on doing another one using the elephant applique, or possibly just the skirt section with it. Possibly made up in something blue to go with that current colour obsession hehe.

1 comment: