Thursday, 26 July 2012

1950s Pinafore with Pattern

This project comes from a 1954 issue of Pins and Needles magazine, a general needlework publication packed with sewing, knitting, crochet and embroidery patterns and projects. Flicking through when I received it in the post, this page caught my eye as a quick project for the little one.


Cute though the elephant is, I left it off for this project. The fabric is one I'd picked out for a dress for her but had yet to find a pattern before now: a polycotton woven check design.

The pattern was very simple to make up, with the most difficult part being drafting the strap shapes. It feels like there are a couple of measurements missing from the diagram in order to get the angles right, and goodness knows where my protractor is! The pattern calls for contrast fabric for the upper skirt and bib pieces, but I decided to cut these parts on the bias to utilise the check pattern here. I did have to put a pleat in the bib, as when she tried it on the straps were slipping off her narrow shoulders a little- this changed the angle of them just enough.


The skirt closes up the back with buttons. I made only the top button at the waist functional, with the others sewn through all layers to keep the skirt closed. The straps are crossed behind the shoulders and button onto the waist at the back. I went with some vintage yellow buttons with a tiny flower detail from the stash to pick out the yellow in the fabric.


Back detail: straps buttoned on with vintage buttons. This fabric was a nightmare for making the buttonholes on (another reason for making only the waistband button functional on the back).


On to the pattern! Some of the text is printed very small on the diagrams, but the photos are high quality so should capture it well enough. You should be able to right click> View Image to see it full size, but let me know if you have any problems.






I'd love to see if anyone makes this up! I'm planning on doing another one using the elephant applique, or possibly just the skirt section with it. Possibly made up in something blue to go with that current colour obsession hehe.

Saturday, 14 July 2012

Free pattern: Greenocks cap sleeve jumper

This pattern was bought in a charity shop just this afternoon. It is for a simple lace-patterned cap sleeve sweater in sizes 34" to 38" bust, by Scottish company Greenock. It dates from the early 1960s, though the style is typically '50s.



The pattern calls for 3-ply yarn, though with a tension of 6 stitches per inch on fairly large needles it could be made up in a 4 ply or light double knit with smaller needles, giving a slightly denser knit.



Friday, 6 July 2012

Second birthday stitches

The little one's second birthday is fast approaching, and I've been busy making for the last few weeks. Some are still works in progress.


Embroidered peasant blouse

If you follow me on Pinterest, you may have seen me mention Tasha of By gum, by golly's embroidered peasant blouse. While I work on the embroidery for my own, I decided to make a mini one too. I had a small remnant of white Egyptian cotton lawn with a touch of lycra that was just enough for this. I've added some rows of machine embroidery in bright colours using the cams in my sewing machine, and threaded elastic into a casing along the neck edge.


Felt play food

I've seen this on a couple of other blogs and decided to give it a go. I was originally just going to buy plastic ones, but have been frustrated trying to find some that has the right balance between quality and cost; the affordable stuff is not worth buying, but the quality realistic ones cost a small fortune. For a few pounds for a stack of felt squares and the filling from an old pillow, I've filled a £1 storage shopping basket with goodies. I'll put up the patterns for these soon too!



Zebra cuddly

Of all the animals she has, a zebra isn't one of them. This little guy comes from Crochet In No Time, a gift last Christmas. He stands up all by himself without the need for wire in his legs.


1950s cap sleeved blouse

Ok, so this one is for me. I just got this pattern from eBay, and it was too tempting. It was unused in factory folds, in perfect condition. I'm making it up in a pale yellow fruit print, that is the skirt of a dress I got in last year's sale at Asda. The fabric is too lightweight for a dress for my liking, so it went in the refashion pile. It's looking good so far, and I hope to have it done by the weekend!